Thursday, June 3, 2010

How am I? Oy!!!!

Hi friends and family,

I've had a freaky week.  I was on vacation with two of my children that flew over from the U.S.  We had a fantastic time taking them to Rome, Pisa, Cinque Terre, and the home of bad Vampires.... Volterra.  (Twilight Fan Alert).  We ate gelato and pizza here in Modena and pretty much everywhere we went. :0)  We really had a great time. 

After they left, we were exhausted, getting old ain't for sissies and we are not even 50 yet. ha!  I have been having a very hard time sleeping since menopause has set in.  I wake up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep.  then anxiety would set in..... am I ever going to go back to sleep?  My husband was getting annoyed that I was never in bed.  I talked to the Dr. and she gave me some ambien.  This stuff has been a godsend.  I would sleep, wake refreshed in the morning and have creative ideas.  It was so nice to sleep.

But, this week, I had an Ambien episode.  I have lost an entire day.  I don't remember anything about it, the last thing I remember is coming home from the Commissary with the DH and putting away the groceries on Sunday evening.  Tom came home Monday afternoon to find me hanging clothes I had washed out on the balcony, only half dressed.  I told him I needed help changing the bed.  When he went in I had spread nutella and honey all over the sheets.  I had eaten 1/2 a jar of nutella, some honey, an entire bag of oreos and some other things in the kitchen.  Tom said I was ping ponging around the house, carrying on sometimes lucid and other times not conversations, but he could tell I wasn't awake.  I talked to my parents on the phone and don't remember a thing I said to them.  I chopped up bread into little pieces and then dutifully put all the pieces in a ziploc baggie for the birds. I sent an email to my sister and the head of my design team with lots of mistyping and misspelling in them.

When I woke up on Tuesday, I didn't know it was Tuesday.  I thought it was Monday. My ambien bottle was open in the bathroom and there were only 5 in it.  Last I remember there were 20. I found ambien all over the house.  In my other pill bottles, on the floor in the living room, the bedroom, the bathroom.  But, I must have figured I wasn't sleeping and took more (I usually only take 1/2 a pill). 

It scared me so bad that I cried for 1/2 a day.  I've never been "drunk" where you would forget a day, but this was like that I suppose.  I'm distressed trying to figure out what I did and what I ate!!  I am a gastric bypass patient, so I can't have sugar and if I do, not very much.  So, on top of the ambien, I must have put my body into a sugar coma with all the weird stuff that I ate.  I usually don't put on weight because I write down what I eat, but I had been putting on weight lately and I suppose it was Ambien eating.

My husband now has the pills hidden and parcels out 1/4 as needed.  I'm trying to get off the stuff totally and boy is it tough.  I hate not sleeping and that wonderful pill would just relax me so well.  I've never been addicted, but this might be close if not bullseye.  So, now I am suffering through not sleeping again to get this under control and into a normal rhythm for me When I don't sleep, of course, I don't create well.  So that is my "Sleeping in Italy" or "While I'm NOT Sleeping" saga. 

I'm much more light hearted about it today than earlier in the week, so, onward and upward!  This too shall pass.

13 comments:

shari said...

OMG I feel so bad for you. It sounds like your having a terrible time, I just turned 51 and my mom said I would have trouble sleeping soon. YIKES! I hope you get to the bottom of this and start to sleep better. Shari (cricutrookie)

Melissaward said...

Ambien was like that for me at first. Now its about right to get me to sleep without much craziness. My daughter actually said I was outside one night in my PJs and big teddybear house shoes asking her to take me dancing. I have woken up some days and found food half eaten all over the place. I think that ambien must make you hungry. Now I only take it when I REALLY REALLY cant sleep or I just dont sleep :) I hope it helps you to know you are not the only one that had that issue with ambien. I know when I read your blog I felt relieved that it was not just me!

Hugs I hope you feel better and get some sleep soon!

Ruthie said...

Oh babes - that sounds horrific - how frightening. Brill hubbie looking after the tablets! I hope you get it all sorted - as they say...little steps (hope they are all forwards but sometimes they might be backwards - but they are still little steps!)....big hugs

Rx

Ohhh Snap said...

Dang! I've heard about those Ambien episodes, that sort of thing is soooo scary. It sounds like you've worked out a plan and that's a huge step to where you want to go. When you're ready, you can scrap it, if you want to. (I find Scrap Therapy so helpful).

I miss the sleep of my youth lol. I'm sending you good sleepy thoughts.

Kate said...

Penny - I am so sorry to read of your struggles as of late. Monday sounds like a nightmare! Hopefully that day was a one time shot with such extreme changes and that things will continue to improve now. As for your sleep, I have difficulties in that area as well - always have. Growing up, my mother always encouraged me to recite scripture when I lay awake. It works! Even if I didn't drift back to sleep, I would feel a sense of refreshment in the mornings. When things were really bad, I had a poster that I made and I hung it over my bed: I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8 NKJV) My fears were very different from yours, but our God is the same.
I will be praying for you. xox

flowerdisco said...

I was having insomnia and my dr wouldn't give any of those new sleeping pills but an older pill because the side effects of them. I do not recall if it was ambien or lunesta but what you explained it was one of the side effects....very dangerous. people have gone out on their cars driving without knowing. scary tought!
maybe you need to change meds.

MoonDust Bath and Body said...

Wow, GF that is scary. You need to take care of your self. See if you try Zanex- it is for anxiety, and just a 1/4 may be enough to relax you, but not knock you out. IDK. Just take care.

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Penny, I pray in the name of Jesus that you be well and back to normal. Please take care of yourself and PRAY!!!!!! Luv ya!!!! Please write back and tell us how you are doing. PRAY, PRAY PRAY

Angi Barrs said...

Wow what a time you've had Penny. I have insomnia issues myself. It's gets exhausting so I feel your pain. Take care of yourself girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that sounds scary. I've heard of that happening before - where people sleep eat and the other stuff you mentioned while on Ambien. Thanks for sharing the story - now I know not to EVER try Ambien.

-Nicole

Raquel SK said...

OMG!!! I'm changing your name to Alice, as it looks like you've been to wonderland. My brother has to take that medication due to other reasons and he too has "episodes" although I think his last a few years. So sorry to hear 'bout this. Be sure to tell your doctor...and put all sweets under lock & key. Hopefully someday you can look back on it & laugh :).

Bobbi said...

I am sorry to hear about your experience. My sister takes Ambien as well for sleeping. She was involved in a car accident a couple years ago and just cannot get comfortable to sleep so that is why she takes it. She has never had this experience yet but I am going to tell her about your's so she is careful with her pills, she only takes a 1/2 one too because they are very strong. Hope all works out for you and will keep you in my thoughts.

CJ said...

I have trouble sleeping too but refuse to take anything. I did have ambien once on a trip to China, I took it on the plane and had weird dreems the entire flight. Decided then no more.

There has to be something out there that can help you. Don't give up.

Look forward to your next card.

CJ

Lijit Search Wijit